With International Yoga day just around the corner (tomorrow -21/06/18 –to be precise) I decided to do a yoga-themed astrology article for you all.
Vedic doctrine states that you should choose a yoga practice that complements your basic constitution (your “dosha”), which will be either Kapha, Pitta or Vata depending on your own unique make up.
Ideally, this means that you should choose the type of yoga that doesn’t aggravate your dominant elements, which will be a combination of the following:
Fire+water = Pitta
Often people are a combination of two doshas (like, say Vata, Pitta or Kapha Pitta), with the ultimate aim of becoming tridoshic, that is, becoming a perfect balance of Kapha, Pitta, Vata.
I have oversimplified things greatly, but bear with me…
Each dosha encapsulates a variety of physical, emotional and psychological characteristics.
In a nutshell:
Vata Types are slight and slender with protruding bones and small eyes. They are erratic and flighty, have poor digestion, a racing mind and dry skin and hair.
Kapha Types are heavy-set and put on weight easily. They have thick lustrous hair and large, sympathetic eyes. Emotionally they are empathic, maudlin and cry easily.
Pitta Types are somewhere in between Vata and Kapha. They are of average build and have greasy skin and hair. They are feisty and quick to anger and prone to diarrhea and acne.
You can read more about the three doshas here.
What Type of Yoga Should you do According to your Dominant Sign and Element?
Gentle, feminine, yin signs (earth and water signs) should choose a dynamic style of yoga to balance their gentle, introverted personalities while an extroverted, masculine, yang sign (fire and air) should choose a more gentle style of yoga to balance their open, expressive personality.
It is important to note that the type of yoga that is best suited to your physiological make up isn’t necessarily determined by your Sun sign.
For example you may have your Sun in Pisces but have a Gemini Ascendant, an Aquarius Moon and you inner planets in Aries. This will likely make you a more extroverted, yang-style Pisces and you may find that choosing a more gentle form of yoga will help balance your personality.
Although your dominant element is usually the element that your Sun sign falls in, this is not always the case as we have seen with the example above. I know someone who is a Sagittarius with a Virgo Ascendant and a Capricorn Moon with his Venus and Mercury in Capricorn, and his dominant element is earth rather than fire.
Take a look below to see what type of yoga will help balance your personality.
Happy International Yoga Day!
Do Yin Yoga if you have a lot of Aries in your chart
You know you have a powerful Aries signature in your chart if:
- You have abundant energy
- You’re easily excitable
- You like new challenges
- You are passionate about the things you believe in
- You’re a pioneer and a natural leader
- You get a lot of inspired, revolutionary ideas
-You can be forceful, persuasive and argumentative
Balance your fiery masculine energy with Yin yoga. Yin yoga harnesses gentle, feminine energy and helps stimulate your parasympathetic nervous system that is likely overshadowed by your dominant sympathetic nervous system. The sympathetic nervous system is what prepares us for action and mental activity while the parasympathetic nervous system functions in order to conserve our energy and is associated with reticence and submissiveness –qualities that Aries could definitely benefit from cultivating!
Do Ashtanga Yoga if you have a lot of Taurus in your chart
You know you have a powerful Taurus signature in your chart if:
- You’re a natural procrastinator
- You’re a bit (or a lot) on the lazy side
- You need a kick in the pants to get you going but once you start, there’s no stopping you
- You’re obsessed with material comfort
- You need a lot of physical affection to help keep you grounded and reassured
- You love cosmetics and body care products and are obsessed with your physical appearance
Balance your inertia with stimulating-yet-meditative Ashtanga yoga. Vedic sages claimed that regularly practicing ashtanga yoga “boils your blood” and gets your inner fire stoked and burning bright –the perfect antidote to your innate sluggishness.
Do Hatha Yoga if you have a lot of Gemini in your chart
You know you have a powerful Gemini signature in your chart if:
- You thrive on gossip columns, tabloids and “locker room banter”
- You’re a social butterfly
- You oscillate between the highest highs and the lowest lows
- Your well-being is highly dependent on large doses of social media and news reels
- You are charismatic, witty and a natural “people person”
- You suffer from Peter Pan Syndrome (i.e. you are youthful and ageless)
- You are more curious than the proverbial cat
Balance your natural buoyancy and excitability with soothing Hatha yoga. Not only does it calm the mind and nip racing thoughts in the bud, it stretches, lengthens, and elongates your muscles, ensuring you look like the best version of yourself… In other words you’ll have a rockin’ body, which is the perfect foil for all your whirlwind social engagements.
Do Bikram Yoga if you have a lot of Cancer in your chart
You know you have a powerful Cancer signature in your chart if:
- Visiting the kitchen and homeware department in a mall literally gets you off
- You spend a large portion of your life daydreaming
- You love anything sappy, weepy, cuddly and nostalgic
- You have a strong love of the sea, beach, seashells… basically anything to do with the ocean
- You waste a lot of time posting cute, cuddly cat memes on social media
- You have a love-love relationship with carbohydrates, cream and boxes of chocolate
- You have never been able to wean yourself off children’s books and stuffed animals
Also known as hot yoga, Bikram yoga will temper your excessive sensitivity and reticence by turning these qualities into a weapon rather than a liability. It will take you from floating in an undifferentiated sea of dreams to Being. Here. Now… Bikram yoga helps you be present with yourself and the world around you rather than hiding in your shell, which seems to be the answer to all your problems.
Do Iyengar if you have a lot of Leo in your chart
You know you have a powerful Leo signature in your chart if:
- You are always the life and soul of the party
- Your knockout physical presence enters and permeates a room before you even set foot in it
- You consider fun and play a birthright
- Your burning desire to be noticed has augmented your social circle as much as it’s diminished it
- You believe that your specialness grants you certain privileges that aren't necessarily bestowed on "mere mortals"
- You have a loud, booming voice to go with your larger-than-life personality
- If you’re not burning the candle at both ends then you believe that you’re wasting precious time
Let’s face it: Leo tends to lean towards boorishness in its attempts to be bigger, louder and brighter than everyone else. Iyengar yoga, which focuses on exactness, precision and technique, will help mitigate some of Leo’s natural effusiveness resulting in blinding charisma that is tempered with Iyengar yoga’s grace.
Do Yoga Nidra if you have a lot of Virgo in your chart
You know you have a powerful Virgo signature in your chart if:
- You don’t think; you worry
- You have a label, compartment and shelf for everything you own
- If it’s not antibacterial, it’s no good as far as you’re concerned
- You have a profoundly developed sensual side that is usually masked by a shrewd and practical realist
- Insomnia and restlessness are frequent visitors in your world
- You know about the latest health fad before it’s even hit the headlines
-Hand-sanitiser would be your go-to creature comfort if you were stuck on a desert island
While technically not an asana practice, Yoga Nidra is a fundamental part of the yogic lifestyle that helps still the mind and bring deep relaxation to the body. It is a meditative art where you put the body to sleep through the rotation of consciousness while making sure the mind stays alert and focused. Practitioners claim that just 30 minutes of the practice helps melt away tension and helps them feel like they’ve gotten a sound and refreshing 3-hour sleep.
You can read more about Yoga Nidra here.
Do Sivananda Yoga if you have a lot of Libra in your chart
You know you have a powerful Libra signature in your chart if:
- The art of making up your mind feels like a lifetime achievement
- You are a natural-born diplomat and mitigator
- You bring grace, charm, style and pizzazz to anything you put your mind to
- You seem to be eternally pre-occupied with what’s “right” and what’s “fair”
- You put your phone on airplane mode to avoid dealing with people and making a decision on what to do
- Your calendar is filled to the brim with double-bookings
- Ugliness literally makes you feel sick and sad
Sivananda yoga is a form of Hatha yoga where you repeat the same 12 asanas (poses) in the exact same sequence every time you practice. This will help you get on with your yoga practice rather than dithering about which asanas to do. They’ve already been chosen for you so no excuses, Libra!
Do Kundalini Yoga if you have a lot of Scorpio in your chart
You know you have a powerful Scorpio signature in your chart if:
- You are the shine that comes from the shit
- Learning that “things need darkness to grow” is a life theme and a personal mission for you
- You have major mummy issues
- You put the “Y” in “sexy”
- You repel and entice people in equal measure thanks to your brooding, sultry demeanour
- Behind all that fathomless intensity, you’re really as soft and chewy as a caramel
- Your life has had more change and upheaval than most people have had hot dinners
Kundalini yoga is often cited as the “king of all yogas” because it is the most powerful and also the most simple of yogic practices. Kundalini yoga involves practicing mudras (specific hand gestures), mantras, asanas and pranayama (breath work) to help raise our vibrational frequency and clear out old karmas, disease and emotional and psychological blockages. In short, Kundalini yoga will help you stop sabotaging and stinging yourself to death so you can grow towards the light, Scorpio.
Do Runic Yoga if you have a lot of Sagittarius in your chart
You know you have a powerful Sagittarius signature in your chart if:
- You are bright, buoyant and radiant but can also suffer from verbal diarrhea and upset your nearest and dearest with the “truths” you speak
- You own so many books you often joke that you need to rent them their own apartment
- You get fidgety and restless if you are in one place for too long
- You change lifestyles, philosophies, languages, religions and faiths with the same frequency that other people change their socks
- “Variety is the spice of life” isn’t just a clichéd saying –it’s a way of life for you
- The phrase “the more the merrier” sums up just about every facet of your existence
- You’re still trying to figure out how you can get paid to travel for the rest of your life
Rune yoga, or Runic yoga, is an ancient Germanic practice that involves contorting your body to make the shapes of the Runic alphabet. Each letter contains its own unique energy so that when you use your body to make these sacred shapes, you are inviting these powerful frequencies into the very core of your being. This makes it an obvious choice for Saggitarians who can combine their love of learning with a physical practice that will help stoke and direct their inner fire.
Do Laughter Yoga if you have a lot of Capricorn in your chart
You know you have a powerful Capricorn signature in your chart if:
-You’re always the one to spot the fly in the ointment
- You always insist on doing everything the hard way
- You believe that life is about showing up, logging on and grinding down
- You have a keen nose for bargains and hate paying full retail price for anything
- Your friends think that you’re a boo-hooer but really, it’s just that you enjoy playing devil’s advocate
- You are an intoxicating fusion of rebel-without-a-cause, straight-laced, driven and ambitious
- If you had a dollar for every time someone told you to “lighten up,” you’d be a millionaire (which would be great because wealth, status and material comfort is something you aspire to)
Laughter yoga does what it says on the tin. It makes you laugh and helps you release facial tension (especially in the jaw area) and allows you to appreciate the joy and merriment in life. You often take life and yourself so seriously that a healthy dose of laughter yoga is the perfect antidote to your taciturn, melancholy ways.
Do Yantra Yoga if you have a lot of Aquarius in your chart
You know you have a powerful Aquarius signature in your chart if:
- You fizz, crackle and pop with electrical energy
- You have a weirdly unique (and hard to understand) sense of humour
- You have your finger on the pulse of all things gadgety, electronic and “now”
- You’re so trendy that you can sniff out a new fad well before it goes viral
- Other people are both put off and intrigued by your way-out vibe
- If there’s anyone that “marches to the beat of their own drum” it’s you
- You often feel lonely but you don’t to like to spend time with people unless they “get” you
Yantra yoga is believed to be one of the oldest forms of yoga that exists in the world. Each asana sequence performed in Yantra yoga is done with the aim of guiding the breath into a natural rhythm with the mind and body. Since Aquarius is a sign that is uncomfortable with all that is corporeal and the bestial, Yantra yoga will help them align their biggest ally (the mind) with their biggest enemy (the body).
Do Vinyasa Flow if you have a lot of Pisces in your chart
You know you have a powerful Pisces signature in your chart if:
- You often find yourself bursting into tears for no reason and believe that tears are a healing balm and cure-all
- There is something elusive and otherworldly about you, making it hard for other people to pin you down
- You like all things gauzy, floaty and ethereal (glitter, sparkles and sequins don’t hurt either)
- You love to lose your sense of personal boundaries with the help of drugs (both legal and illegal varieties), alcohol and all other consciousness-altering brews, potions and elixirs
- You’d be quite happy to sleep and dream your life away
- You carry the weight of the world on your shoulders
- Behind your soft, dreamy exterior others may be surprised to discover that therein resides: (in no particular order) a sadist, an artist, an empath, a masochist, a martyr, a redeemer, a victim and a saviour
Vinyasa flow is a modern adaptation of Ashtanga yoga, making it a dynamic practice that allows you to “flow” from one posture to the next without breaks. The difference is that while Asthanga yoga always follows a specific set of asanas, Vinyasa yoga allows you to combine whatever asanas you like making it perfect for your imaginative ways. This is “blood boiling” practice, perfect for the cold fish of the Zodiac who need to temper their soft and dreamy personalities with a type of yoga that will kick their butts to kingdom come.
Articles, vignettes, news, reviews and views on all things Astrology, Rune & Tarot related.
© 2015-2020 www.sednaastrology.com All Rights Reserved